Product Creation Process for an Engineering Service Provider
A cross-functional product creation process is at the heart of successful product development. Exactly this process is what our client, an engineering service provider, intended to set up for a new business unit.
Our client is an international engineering service provider specializing in the development and testing of powertrain systems.
The company had established a new business unit. For this business unit, we developed and implemented a cross-functional product creation process for a complete vehicle.
Together with our client, we developed and implemented a cross-functional product creation process for a complete vehicle within a period of six months. This included:
- Process synchronization plan
- Detailed sub-process flow charts including RASIC charts and templates for:
- Product requirement management
- Design, control system
- Testing and validation, patents
- Make or buy recommendations
- Service concept
- Product documentation
- Industrial engineering
- Supplier recommendation
- Prototype build
- Pilot series support
- Master schedule
- Gate and milestone checklists
- Role descriptions
- Complete scope of work for future service offerings
Bottom line – the benefits
- The company can now offer and carry out complete vehicle development as a new service.
- Reduced development time of 36 months, from the beginning of the market study to start of production.
- The documentation of the product creation process, thanks to its quality and ability to depict the development time, is a significant marketing tool supporting contract acquisition.
- The business unit is growing at an annual 40-50 percent.